The Italian who was first diagnosed with coronavirus on his point of entry into Nigeria has tested negative to the virus, indicating a successful recovery from the ailment.
The man, who flew into Nigeria from Milan, Italy, on February 24, had been receiving treatment at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.
At a press briefing on Thursday, the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Akin Abayomi, said the 44-year-old Italian tested negative to the virus.
He said another test would be conducted and if he also tests negative, the patient would be discharged.
“The index case is now negative. The only reason he is still with us is because he needs two negative tests but he is ready and anxious to go,” he said.