It was drama on Sunday as former President of Nigeria Ibrahim Babangida recanted after he issued statement calling on President Muhammadu Buhari not to contest the 2019 election scheduled for February 2019.
Former military president Ibrahim Babangida had asked Nigerians to co-operate with President Muhammadu Buhari until his tenure ends — but vote for a new generation of leaders in 2019. In a press statement released on Sunday by Kassim Afegbua, his spokesman, Babangida said it was time to sacrifice “personal ambition” for the “national interest”.
But few hours after this statement was released to the media, that the former military ruler disowned it saying it was not from him.
Key sources told newsreportersng.com that shortly after the statement was released that the former president started receiving calls urging him to recant, especially in consideration that his comments will bring deep rooted hatred to the government.
Spokesman for the former military president said the statement he issued earlier on Sunday was endorsed by Babangida.
Kassim Afegbua who appeared as a guest on Channels Television Programme Sunday Politics said as a professional who has been on the job for 13 years, he has never gotten a rebuttal after releasing a statement on behalf of the former president.
“I have been doing this job for 13 years now. I have never issued a statement on behalf of General Babangida and it gets a rebuttal.
“I extracted a commitment from him (Babangida) before I issued that statement. The former military president authorised the statement I issued. I didn’t just put out the statement on my own,” he said.