Addressing journalists in Enugu on Wednesday, the South East Zonal Head of the commission, Johnson Babalola, said that the investigation was in relation to the 2015 general elections.
Mr. Babalola said that the development was a national issue and that everybody involved would be called to answer about the money given to them.
He said that some government officials in Enugu and Ebonyi states had been invited over the campaign fund.
“The 2015 campaign fund of about N450 million is subject to investigation in Abia State.
“In Enugu, the former governor, Mr Sullivan Chime and some serving commissioners have been called as suspects and the case is still under investigation. It is the same thing in Ebonyi State.
“The sum of N450 million was given to Abia State and we are investigating it but cannot mention names now,” he said.
Babalola said that in most cases as in the case of Ebonyi, the monies were paid through the account of the state governors
He said that invitation to suspects was not an indictment, adding that the commission would follow due process to unravel all circumstances.
He said that the former governor of Abia, Theodore Orji, was not under investigation by the commission.
“We are not investigating Theodore Orji because I do not have any case file about him on my table.
“There is no petition against him by any member of the public.
“If anyone has any petition against him, the person can forward it for investigation,” he said.
Mr. Babalola said that some serving governors in the zone were also under investigation over allegations against them.
He said that no one was precluded from investigation in the country, adding that immunity did not stop investigation.