The Senate has asked the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to declare the results of the June 12, 1993 presidential election.
The lawmakers made the demand on Thursday during plenary at the upper chamber of the National Assembly in Abuja, the nation’s capital.
The request comes one day after President Muhammadu Buhari declared June 12 to replace May 29 as Democracy Day, in honour of late MKO Abiola – the presumed winner of the election.
President Buhari had explained that June 12 was more symbolic than May 29 and also conferred a posthumous GCFR title on the late businessman.
More from my site
- June 6, 2018 BREAKING: FG declares June 12 democracy day, confers posthumous GCFR on Abiola
- March 14, 2017 BREAKING: Buhari, Saraki, Dogara in closed door meeting
- June 12, 2018 Buhari confers GCFR on MKO Abiola, apologizes to Abiola family
- June 23, 2018 Budget 2018: This is the reason we adjusted it-NASS
- February 16, 2019 Why we postponed elections-INEC
- October 22, 2019 ICPC declares former Buhari aide, Obono-Obla, wanted